Criminal Charges Related Posts



In 2015, while I was working for Ontario Government, The Attorney General of Ontario introduced a consultation process dealing with Provincial Judicial Reform.

Why? Because the Ontario Courts are experiencing lengthy time delays for hearing trial matters.

The Attorney General’s Office notes that over 3 million Canadians have a criminal record. That is roughly 1 out of 10 people in Canada.

So if you have made a mistake in your past, and you believe that you have already paid your debt to society…. You may want to be assured that you can move forward with your life, without it holding you back in any way

But, a criminal record could affect your ability to gain employment, travel outside Canada, and prevent you from pursuing some educational opportunities.

So how can you clear the record from the past and move forward, fully reintegrated with society?

To give yourself the best opportunity of fully reintegrating in society, you can apply for a pardon (record suspension).

Depending on your eligibility, you may be able to apply for a record suspension in 5 or 10 years after a conviction.

Many criminal records are Summary Offences, and if you have been convicted of a Summary Offence you may be eligible to apply for a record suspension in 5 years from your conviction date.

A record suspension can set aside your criminal record, and remove the conviction from Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) database.

If you were convicted on an Indictable offence, you will have to wait 10 years before applying.

It is important to note, that there are some restrictions and limitations in applying for a record suspension.

Please visit the Government of Canada’s website to learn more.

You can also contact us at:  Lighthouse Legal Services  if you have any questions about Pardon applications